Monday, April 20, 2009

Mima Mounds

Henderson's Shootingstar
Primulaceae (Primrose Family)
Dodecatheon hendersonii
While visiting Mima Mounds yesterday, I saw these Shootingstars everywhere. I forgot which variety the signs said they were and I neglected to closely observe the leaves. So this was a good reminder of what details are important to observe in the field. But the yellow ring, as seen in the picture below, is a good way to eliminate some varieties. So I'm 99% sure this is a Henderson's Shootingstar.  The yellow ring is in the wrong place for it to be a Jeffrey's Shootingstar; its growing in the wrong place to be a Poet's Shootingstar, and the petals have the wrong form for it to be a Desert or Few-Flowered Shootingstar. Will investigate its leaves next time.


Western Buttercup
Ranunculaceae (Buttercup Family)
Ranunculus occidentalis
This one could have been challenging to identify but I identified it with a botany class in the same location two years ago. So I'm sure of it. Plus, all the posted signs agree, as well. I don't find the buttercups particularly special but its good practice. I hope to create a flora one day.

1 comment:

  1. these are so beautiful! it makes me want to go out and look for flowers/plants... except it is raining right now. ha i so enjoy your pics. you take such good ones of plants. thanks for sharing. i hope this will inspire others to look about themselves and see the wonder of nature and all it has to offer.

    ReplyDelete