Friday, May 1, 2009

Big Blooms!

Rhododendron


Ericaceae (Heath Family)
Rhododendron
The Rhododendron is Washington's state flower. Burfoot Park has a trail of Rhododendrons and here are a few of those that were in bloom at the end of April. Ideally, I would like to find this plant growing "in the wild" but I rarely see it unless it has been planted.

Trillium
Liliaceae (Lily Family)
Trillium Ovatum
There's Trillium everywhere now. Here's a patch of them growing amongst the Cleavers.  They litter the forest floor.

Chocolate Lily
Liliaceae (Lily Family)
Fritillaria lanceolata
These cool lilies were found growing along a slope at the forest edge not far from the beach alongside a great deal of Poison Oak. So, naturally, I had to be very careful while taking pics. I took about a dozen shot of these flowers and only got one I'm happy with. But it's a neat flower and I always seek it out in the spring. I should try planting some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment